Copyright 2010: C-K AutumnFest | WV Pumpkin Festival. All Rights Reserved.
The Ramsdell House was built by Z. D. Ramsdell in 1858. It was the first brick house built in Ceredo, just one year following the founding of the community by Eli Thayer in 1857. Mr. Ramsdell was a boot maker and a staunch abolitionist who endorsed and supported Eli Thayer’s philosophy that steam power could replace slave power in developing industry. Thus Ramsdell joined Thayer in the establishment of Ceredo. The stately red brick Ramsdell House (circa 1857), believed to be a part of the Underground Railroad, has been restored by the Ceredo Historical Landmark Commission and is now on the National Historic register.